
Our story
Our parish grew from a small chapel blessed at Katemanavli in 1887. It is now home to around 3,000 people, cared for by the Congregation of the Blessed Sacrament (SSS).
How we began
1886
A chapel was built at Katemanavli, attached to the home of Mr. Jose Correa d’Aguiar. It was blessed on 23 January 1887 by the Pro-Vicar Apostolic, Fr. J. Willy, and the Jesuits served as its chaplains.
1907
Archbishop Dom Sebastian Pereira purchased the plot of land on which the chapel stood.
1918
About 300 Catholics living in the GIP Railway quarters at Kalyan attended services at the Katemanavli chapel.
1932
The parish of Kalyan West was created and the Katemanavli chapel was closed.
1950
After repeated appeals from Catholics living in the east, the chapel was reopened for worship.
1969
Fr. Ross Fernandes became the first parish priest and reopened the primary school, which later grew into St. Jude’s High School. The parish has grown from 50 families to around 3,000 parishioners since.
2022
The Congregation of the Blessed Sacrament took charge of the parish on 31 May, with Bishop Allwyn D’Silva present for the handover.
Those who serve

Parish Priest and Superior

Assistant Parish Priest

Principal of St. Jude's High School, Kalyan East